Why Do I Need an Annual Physical Exam?
When you’re feeling healthy, it might seem less important to visit a doctor regularly for routine physical examinations. However, even if you are feeling great, it doesn’t mean that everything is working as it should behind the scenes. There are many disorders that often stay silent without causing symptoms for years. That’s why physical examination at least once a year is vital in protecting you from serious illnesses in the future.
An annual physical exam is your one-on-one time to sit down with a provider and discuss any issues you might be having. We will address your concerns and provide counseling to help you stay healthy.
A standard physical appointment often includes:
- Reviewing your medical history : Your past medical issues, as well as your family's medical history, can provide important insight into your current health and can help us anticipate problems you may have in the future. Be sure to mention previous serious illnesses or hospitalizations, current medical diagnoses, allergies and/or pany medications you are currently taking. The more information you can provide us, the more valuable your visit will be.
- Discussing your lifestyle : Your daily habits are often just as telling as your medical history when it comes to your risk of developing certain diseases. We will discuss certain factors like your diet, exercise regimen, smoking and alcohol use, and sexual history.
- Monitoring your vital signs : We will check your temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure. These are important indicators of your current state of health.
- Physical examination : We will thoroughly examine all areas of the body to make sure they are healthy. This exam may include:
- Heart and lungs
- Head and neck
- Nerves, reflexes, and balance
- Skin and nails
See What Our Patients Say...
"Dr. Humphrey is caring, genuine, and extremely knowledgeable about what is happening now in the medical field. I trust him completely!"
"Our family of five (two adults and three daughters 12/15/18 yrs) has had nothing but great experiences at Blackhawk Medical; we've been well cared by this awesome group of docs and staff for 19 years."